Thursday, March 12, 2020

Reading Other Screenplays

Hi, blog!

So I've been doing more research in between drawing and writing out my scenes and I read a few screenplays but there's one that I liked in particular.

Behind every great movie is a great screenplay, and that can definitely be said for Darren Aronofsky's Black Swan (2010). In Black Swan, Nina (Natalie Portman) is a ballerina whose passion for the dance rules every facet of her life. When the company's artistic director decides to replace his prima ballerina for their opening production of "Swan Lake," Nina is his first choice. She has competition in newcomer Lily (Mila Kunis) however. While Nina is perfect for the role of the White Swan, Lily personifies the Black Swan. As the rivalry between the two dancers transforms into a twisted friendship, Nina's dark side begins to emerge.

While this film doesn't deal with an obsessed fan, I love the way it captures Nina's obsession with her craft, which is ballet. Nina's obsession with being the best overcomes her life and in the process, she experiences many bizarre things.

I read a bit of the script for Black Swan and just loved it. It is very well written and I think captures the essence of what I want for my film very well.

Here are a few pages of the screenplay from the opening scene that I liked in particular:






Well, that's all for now!

- Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment