Thursday, March 19, 2020

Distribution

Hi, blog!

So I've decided to make this blog post dedicated to distribution, specifically how I would distribute my piece.

First, I would submit my short to various film festivals. Some of these film festivals would include the Sundance Film Festival, Raindance Film Festival, Austin Film Festival, and the Tribeca Film Festival. According to the article "The Twelve Things You Should Know Before Submitting to Sundance," "A Sundance short requires the length of the film to be 49 minutes or less, though the average is usually between seven and 15. They can be narrative, animated, documentary or anything art-driven and experimental. Only 60 short films are chosen from a submission pool of around 9,000—all due on September 15."

There was another interesting part of the article that talked about saving money when submitting to a festival. It said, "Regardless of your film’s budget, it’s usually a good idea to save money and there are a few reasons why. Barrera advised the audience to add a festival marketing line item to your post-production budget. In the event that your film does get chosen for Sundance (or any other film festival), it’s going to cost you for deliverables prep, travel, lodging, materials, etc.—so it’s wise to think ahead and be prepared."

"Another way to save during the submissions process is to send Vimeo links. Although DVDs will still be accepted, the programmers highly recommend not wasting your money on them. Online links not only save money but time as well. Vimeo is the most common way filmmakers submit their films. "

As I read more of the article I realized there were a lot of things I didn't know about when it comes to submitting a film to a film festival.

If I were to then win a spot in a festival and have the opportunity to have my short widely distributed, I would distribute it through Netflix or Amazon Prime, or both. These are two of the most popular streaming services so I believe my short film would have the opportunity to reach a large audience if I ere to distribute it through these platforms.

Well, that's all for now!

- Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment